This homebaked crunchy granola is the perfect way to face the crisp fresh mornings now that autumn is in full flow. The cinnamon spice, nuts and oats provide a nourishing hug and warm glow to sustain you through till lunchtime. And the smell of the cinnamon wafting from the oven as it is baking is a delight to the senses!
Free from refined sugar & naturally sweetened with maple syrup and a little coconut sugar makes this a truly healthy treat. Perfect served with a splash of almond milk or mixed with coconut yoghurt and fresh berries.
A good quality granola is an expensive addition to your weekly food costs if buying ready made from the shops, making it out of reach for many families who instead will reach for cheaper, less healthy brands of cereal. This recipe works out as really good value for money, with a little forward planning and keeping the ingredients in stock in your food cupboards, and can cost as little as a regular breakfast cereal. This granola usually lasts about a week in my household of 3 people.
- 200g Whole Oats
- 80g Pecan nuts – roughly broken into half sized chunks
- 80g Pumpkin seeds
- 60g Raw coconut chips
- 3 Heaped tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 Tsp sea salt
- 1 Tblsp coconut sugar
- 60ml Rapeseed oil
- 50ml Maple Syrup
- 2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325f/170c/gas mark 4.
- Place the oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds and coconut chips in a large bowl and combine to mix evenly.
- Add the cinnamon powder, coconut sugar & salt and mix to coat the dry ingredients.
- Mix the rapeseed oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract together and stir to combine well. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well until evenly coated.
- Pour the granola mix into a large ceramic roasting dish or a lined baking tray and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, mix the granola with a spoon and bake for about another 10 minutes, mixing regularly, until golden brown and slightly crispy, with the coconut chips browning at the edges but being careful not to burn them.
- Remove from the oven and cool. The granola will become more crispy as it cools.
Store in an airtight container.