A big crowd pleaser – this fruity zesty twist on coleslaw is like a party on the tongue! Subtly spicy using mild but flavourful chilli flakes creating tingly warmth with every mouthful. The sweetness of the pomegranate and goji berries sits beautifully alongside the citrus kick of the lime, livening up the fresh & crunchy raw vegetables.
The added sweet & spicy cashew nuts paired with the zingy tahini dressing combine to make this a very satisfying lunch meal in its own right. Alternatively, this salad serves as an ideal side to a Mexican feast or even paired with fried tofu giving it more of a Thai twist.
Ingredients – serves 4
For the slaw:
- 100g green or white cabbage – finely shredded (I used Sweetheart cabbage)
- 100g red cabbage – finely shredded
- 100g carrot – grated (about 1 medium to large carrot)
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 40g dried goji berries
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Aleppo chilli flakes (or other mild/medium flakes)
- 25g fresh flat leaf parsley – finely chopped
For the chilli lime toasted cashews:
- 1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 100g whole raw cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Ancho chilli powder (or other mild powder)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest of 1 lime
For the zingy tahini dressing:
- 120ml tahini
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tsp Aleppo chilli flakes (or other mild flakes)
- 60ml warm water
Alfalfa sprouts (optional topping to serve)
Sumac (optional topping to serve)
Extra Aleppo flakes (optional topping to serve)
- Place all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl, mix well and leave to one side. This will allow the goji berries to soften and plump up a little in the lime juice.
- To prepare the cashews; Heat the oil in a frying pan and stir in the cashews. Stir for a couple of minutes until the cashews start to toast.
- Add the chilli powder to the pan and stir the cashews to coat.
- Add the maple syrup to the pan and stir to make sure all the cashews are coated. Keep stirring for a few more minutes to prevent the syrup from burning and until the cashews start to stick together.
- Remove the pan from heat and mix in the lime zest to coat the cashews evenly.
- Carefully transfer the cashews to a cold dish or onto baking paper, taking care as hot syrup can burn very easily. Separate the nuts using a spoon while they are still hot as they will harden and clump together as they cool.
- To prepare the tahini dressing; Add all of the ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth and completely blended. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula at regular intervals.
- To serve; divide the slaw mixture into separate bowls, top with the chilli lime cashew nuts, then add the dressing onto the top.
Optional: Sprinkle powdered sumac and Aleppo chilli flakes over the top of the dressing to add extra flavour and colour. Sprinkle alfalfa sprouts over the dish.